
Indonesian Paradise Found: OYO 90791 Royale Margorejo Surabaya!
Surabaya, Here I Come (Or Maybe I'm Already Here…At OYO 90791 Royale Margorejo!) - A Brutally Honest Review.
Okay, so Surabaya. I was picturing bustling streets, the smell of soto ayam (drool), and maybe, just maybe, finding some actual peace. And that's where OYO 90791 Royale Margorejo Surabaya comes in. Let's be real, OYO's are hit or miss. This one? Buckle up, buttercups. This ain't a polished travel blog, it’s the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me Google Maps.
First off: Accessibility. (Yep, the boring stuff!)
Listen, I appreciated that they said they have facilities for disabled guests. Says are the operative word. I didn't require any, but I peeked and saw the elevator, which gave me hope. Hope, people. That's a big win when dealing with budget hotels. I'm gonna assume some level of accessibility, but do your homework if you need it. This is Surabaya, not Switzerland.
Cleanliness and Safety: The Big Scary COVID Question (and the Answer!)
Alright, let's get real. Post-pandemic travel anxiety is a real thing. Good news: OYO 90791 seems to take this seriously. They have the whole shebang: "Professional-grade sanitizing services," "Daily disinfection in common areas," the works. I saw hand sanitizer stations EVERYWHERE. Seriously, it was like a free-for-all sanitizing party. Bonus points: Room sanitization opt-out available (because, honestly, I like breathing my own germs sometimes!). I felt pretty safe, and that's HUGE. They've got "Staff trained in safety protocol" too, I assume that mean they at least know about Covid…maybe.
The Room: Where Reality Hits
Now, the room. It's a room. It has an air conditioner – praise the heavens! – and a bed. The bed was…a bed. Not the Four Seasons, but hey, I slept. The blackout curtains were clutch because sometimes you just need to hide from the world. The TV? Had like, 500 channels, none of which I could understand. But hey, the internet access – wireless worked, and that's what matters. (Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! YES!) They also have “Internet access – LAN” (remember those?!) If you needed it. Bathroom, clean. Shower, hot water. The essentials, covered. They even threw in "Complimentary tea" (thank you, sweet angels). The "mirror" made me question how much sleep I had taken. Honestly, it was perfect for what it was: a budget-friendly place to crash. I did notice the "smoke detector", so…that's good.
Getting Around: Your Surabaya Survival Guide
- Car Park [free of charge]: Score! Always a win.
- Airport transfer: Didn’t need it, but it’s there, which is smart.
- Taxi service: Essential in Surabaya, I think.
- Car park [on-site]: Helpful.
- Valet parking: Ummm, not that I remember…but hey, maybe they have one.
Things to Do (and Ways to Relax): Let’s be honest, it’s about the Spa** (and the food!)**
Okay, here's where the "budget hotel" thing starts to shine. There's a "Fitness center." I didn't go. (Mountains of nasi goreng weren't going to burn themselves off.) And a "Spa." Now, this is where I had a moment. A "Spa?" At an OYO? I was expecting, like, a closet with a massage table. I didn't investigate further. Don't want to be disappointed. They also have a "Sauna" and "Steamroom." Hmm.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Fueling the Adventure
Here's the real juicy part. The "Restaurants" offers "Asian cuisine in restaurant," "International cuisine in restaurant," and "Vegetarian restaurant" (plus “Desserts in restaurant,” because yum). They have a "Breakfast [buffet]." And they offer "A la carte in restaurant." And the buffet had a ridiculous supply of food.
- A la carte in restaurant was decent.
- Breakfast [buffet]: Okay, here's the deal. The breakfast buffet was…surprising. Not five-star, but for the price? Excellent! They had a mix of Asian and Western options. I ate way too much, obviously. The coffee? Not amazing, but it woke me up.
- Coffee/tea in restaurant: Crucial.
- Snack bar: Needed that.
- They have a "Poolside bar" – perfect for a post-tourista drink.
- Room service [24-hour]: They really cater to your needs!
- Alternative meal arrangement: Seems flexible!
Services and Conveniences: The Real Deal
- Air conditioning in public area: Crucial in Surabaya.
- Cash withdrawal: Always handy.
- Daily housekeeping: Thank the gods.
- Elevator: Definitely an asset.
- Laundry service: Needed it.
- Safety deposit boxes: Always a plus.
For the Kids (or the Kiddos in the Making):
- Family/child friendly: Yay!
- Babysitting service: Useful if you need it.
- Kids facilities: Don't expect a water park, but it's a family hotel.
- Kids meal: Nice touch.
My (slightly messy) Takeaway:
OYO 90791 Royale Margorejo Surabaya is not luxury. But it's clean, safe, has all the basic necessities, (including free Wi-Fi!), and offers a surprisingly decent breakfast. The location is decent, with shops and restaurants nearby. It's a solid, budget-friendly choice for a quick trip or a longer stay.
But here’s the BIGGEST SECRET: The Value-For-Money Factor
This place is cheap. Like, seriously cheap. You get a decent room, a good breakfast (that buffet!), and peace of mind knowing they’re at least trying to keep you safe. You can spend your money on actually experiencing Surabaya, not just paying for a fancy room you'll just sleep in.
My Quirky Observation:
I ate so much at that buffet. It was embarrassing. I mean, I’m talking about the desserts, the salads, the soup, the soups…
My Verdict: A Reluctant Thumbs Up
Would I stay here again? Absolutely. For the price, it's a winner. It’s not perfect, but it’s real. It's a starting point for adventure, not an end point. Embrace the messiness. Embrace the cheapness. Embrace Surabaya!
The Ultimate Offer for YOU (Because I Know You're Still Reading!)
Book your stay at OYO 90791 Royale Margorejo Surabaya today and get:
- A FREE* breakfast buffet pass for a more immersive experience.
- Guaranteed clean room and safe environment.
- Free Wi-Fi
- The chance to spend less & experience Surabaya MORE!
This is the perfect choice for budget-conscious travelers who prioritize cleanliness, convenience, and a good value. Don't expect perfection, expect a solid base camp for your Surabaya adventure. And trust me, you need those blackout curtains!
Book Now! Before I eat all the soto ayam!
Escape to Paradise: Putra Sindang Asih Homestay Awaits in Pangandaran!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into… Surabaya! Specifically, OYO 90791 Royale Margorejo – our humble (and hopefully not haunted) abode for a whirlwind Indonesian adventure. This is less a "perfect itinerary" and more, well, a glimpse into the chaotic, glorious mess that is my travel style. Prepare for tangents, questionable decisions, and a LOT of caffeine.
Day 1: Arrival & Sensory Overload (with a Side of Existential Dread)
Morning (Jakarta to Surabaya - Airplane): Jet-lagged and already regretting that extra cup of coffee at the airport. The flight itself was perfectly fine, except for the screaming toddler three rows ahead. Bless his heart, but man, does that sound grate on the nerves. My travel buddy, Sarah, slept through most of it, the lucky duck. We land in Surabaya, and the heat hits you like a physical blow. It's… humid. Really, REALLY humid.
Afternoon (Hotel Check-in & First Impressions - Royale Margorejo): Alright, OYO 90791 Royale Margorejo. Found it – It's a little further from the city centre than I thought. The lobby is… functional, let's say. The lady at the front desk was super friendly, though! She clearly knew how to deal with sleep-deprived, sweaty tourists. The room? Basic but clean, which is all I really ask for. The air conditioning is a godsend. Immediately, I'm already overwhelmed by the sheer number of motorcycles buzzing by the hotel. It's a symphony of beeps and roars out there.
Late Afternoon (Wandering & Street Food Mishaps): Okay, time for a little walk and explore. My stomach is already rumbling. We wander down a street, and oh boy, the smells! Incense, spices, something deep-fried… heaven! I try a nasi goreng (fried rice) from a street vendor. Delicious! Until, uh, something about it didn't quite agree with my stomach. Let's just say I learned the hard way that not all street food is created equal. Sarah, thankfully, fared better and is now trying to navigate the local traffic on foot. This is gonna be interesting.
Evening (Dinner & Early Bed): Retreating to the relative safety (and air conditioning) of the hotel. We end up ordering room service. It was fine, unremarkable, completely forgettable. I collapse onto the bed, and the existential dread of being in a completely new place creeps in. Am I doing this right? Am I wasting my time? Is that a gecko on the wall? Too tired to care. Early night, hoping for a better tomorrow.
Day 2: Coffee, History, More Coffee, & Then… More Coffee!
Morning (Morning Rituals and searching for coffee): I drag myself out of bed and down to the hotel breakfast. Standard fare, but the tea is strong, and that’s all that matters. After about 20 minutes of wandering, still a bit disoriented, I finally stumble across a local coffee shop. Indonesian coffee is known for being strong and earthy. I needed it. I absolutely, utterly, desperately needed it.
Late Morning (Heroes Monument & History Lesson): We visit the Tugu Pahlawan (Heroes Monument). It's a pretty impressive structure, built to commemorate the Battle of Surabaya. I found myself strangely moved by the whole thing, staring at this massive monument celebrating the bravery of the Indonesians. I always feel a little bit guilty about the casual way I wander through history sometimes, like a time traveler from a less important era.
Afternoon (Exploring the Old Town - The Mess of History): Old Town Surabaya is a chaotic mix of colonial-era buildings and vibrant local life. I got completely lost (which, let's be honest, is par for the course). We wander along the river, seeing the houses on the water seem to lean into the water as the structure gets older. The colours, the sounds, the smells… it's a sensory overload in the best possible way. We end up stumbling into a tiny, dusty shop selling antique maps. Spent far too long there, lost in the stories of places – places I might never see.
Late Afternoon (House of Sampoerna - More coffee and Cigarettes): This place is stunning! A former cigarette factory, now a museum and a working factory. We even got to see the women hand-rolling cigarettes. Apparently, the smell of the clove tobacco used to be so intoxicating, but now it's just… strong. We head to the coffee shop on site. Okay, another coffee! I'm starting to think I have a problem…
Evening (Dinner & Night Market - Satiated and Tired): We try to get to this particular night market that was recommended to me but the traffic was absolutely insane. And so, we gave up. We decide to head back to the hotel for dinner.
Day 3: Farewell Surabaya (Maybe a Second Helping of Street Food?)
Morning (Breakfast & Last-Minute Souvenir Hunt): Another hotel brekkie, another attempt to find the perfect souvenir to remind me of this place. We managed to get out of the hotel and managed to get to a souvenir shop, and I think I am done.
Afternoon (Departure - Reluctantly): The reality is that I am leaving. I am sad. The flight back to Jakarta is, thankfully, uneventful. Goodbye Surabaya – you were a mess, you were beautiful, you were overwhelming, and you, my friend, totally won me over!

Indonesian Paradise (Maybe!) Found: Royale Margorejo Surabaya - FAQ (Buckle Up!)
So, like, is this place actually a "paradise"? Because, honestly, the name's a bit…ambitious.
Okay, let's be real. Paradise? *Maybe* if your definition of paradise involves a relatively clean room, a working AC (fingers crossed!), and a breakfast that doesn't actively try to kill you. The name, "Royale Margorejo Surabaya," sounds way fancier than it actually is. It's more like, "Budget-Friendly Surabaya Stopover." But that's not necessarily a *bad* thing. I mean, I stayed there for like, three nights, and I'm still here to tell the tale. That's a win, right?
The rooms…what's the vibe? Are we talking minimalist chic or "found it in a discount furniture warehouse"?
Ah, the rooms. Okay, so "minimalist chic" ain't it. More like, "budget-conscious functional." Think clean-ish. Think, a bed that's mostly a bed (mine had a slight dip in the middle, but hey, character!). The furniture? Well, let's just say it's seen some things. The TV? Probably works. Maybe. I didn't even try. I was too busy hyperventilating about the potential for bedbugs. (Spoiler: didn't find any. But, you know…the anxiety lingers.) My advice? Bring your own pillow. And maybe a Hazmat suit... Just kidding! Mostly.
The WiFi situation? Because, you know, Instagram is a necessity for travel documentation...and general life, frankly.
WiFi. Oh, sweet, sweet, often-unreliable WiFi. Let me tell you, it's a gamble. Sometimes, it's blazing fast, allowing you to upload those breathtaking sunset photos of… Surabaya traffic. Other times? It's dial-up circa 1998. You might as well be trying to send carrier pigeons with your selfies. Honestly, I spent more time staring at the "connecting..." icon than I did actually using the 'net. Prepare to embrace the offline life. Read a book. Talk to the person next to you (maybe not, they might smell of damp towels). Or just…stare at the wall. It's meditative, right?
Breakfast? What's the culinary experience like? Will I survive?
Breakfast. Ah, the daily lottery of Indonesian cuisine. Honestly, it was…an experience. Let’s just say it wasn't the highlight of my trip. I think they served nasi goreng (fried rice), which is basically the national food, accompanied by something that resembled a mystery meat patty (I bravely took a bite. I survived. It's a miracle!). The coffee? Strong enough to power a small city. So, you know, prepare for the caffeine jitters. Honestly, I'd recommend grabbing some street food instead. Go out and find the REAL Surabaya breakfast. It will be better! You can thank me later.
The location? Is it, you know, *convenient*? Or am I stuck in the middle of nowhere with only a herd of confused goats for company?
The location? Depends on your definition of "convenient." It's in a decent area, Margorejo, in Surabaya. Not exactly "central", but there are plenty of local food options, and it's not too far from the airport. But you know, getting around Surabaya is a journey in itself. Traffic is… intense. And you will learn a whole new appreciation for air conditioning. Be prepared to bargain for a taxi, especially if you're not fluent in Indonesian (which, let's be honest, is most of us). I used Grab (the local Uber) a lot. Way easier, and you don't have to play the "price negotiation" game. Trust me, you don't want to.
Any specific tips or warnings for fellow travelers? Seriously, what's the *real* deal?
Okay, the real deal. First, pack earplugs. The prayer calls from the nearby mosque start early. REALLY early. Like, "is it still dark outside?" early. Second, bring your own toiletries. The hotel-supplied soap was… well, let's just say it wasn't exactly luxurious. Third, be prepared for a few…uh… *quirks*. My room had a slight leak in the bathroom. Managed by a perpetually damp towel. It was a vibe. And oh, the walls are… thin. You'll hear everything. Literally. Everything. I listened to someone's entire phone conversation one night. In detail. It was…educational. Mostly. But ultimately? For the ridiculously cheap price? I'd probably stay there again. Just, you know, with lowered expectations.
Okay, so, the *overall* experience? Would you recommend it?
Look, it's not the Ritz-Carlton. It's not even a Holiday Inn Express. But for the price? It’s… acceptable. Would I recommend it? Hmm… if you're on a tight budget, looking for a clean-ish place to crash for a night or two, and don't mind a bit of "character," then yeah, sure. Go for it. Just...manage your expectations. Bring earplugs. And maybe a good book. And a positive attitude. And a hazmat suit.... Just kidding. Mostly.
Are the staff helpful? Is there anyone I can actually *talk* to if something goes wrong? (Aside from my travel companion, who’s probably going to be as confused as I am).
The staff? Okay, here's the thing. They were... present. And generally, they were polite and tried their best. The language barrier can be a thing, so brush up on your basic Indonesian phrases - "terima kasih" (thank you) and "permisi" (excuse me) go a long way. And yes, there *was* someone available to talk to, unlike some abandoned hotels I've stayed in! I remember one time, the AC in my room decided to channel its inner penguin and blast out freezing air all night. I woke up shivering, wrapped in my towel like a burrito. I went to the front desk at 3 AM, half-asleep and grumpy. The guy at the desk, bless his soul, barely spoke English, but he understood my frantic hand gestures and managed to get it fixed. He didn't seem particularly thrilled to be dealing with a cold, sleep-deprived tourist at that hour, but he did it. So, yeah, they're helpful...in their own way. They're not going to go above and beyond, but they'll try. Don't expect miracles, but do expect a bit of patience on both sides.
Let's talk about the "clean-ish" bit. How clean *Hotels With Kitchenettes

